Extended deadline! Consultant to support the Moldovan Council on Preventing and Combating Discrimination and Ensuring Equality (Moldovan Equality Body) in designing the methodology for monitoring court proceedings and identification of cases requiring amicus curiae briefs
During February 2020 – July 2022 the East Europe Foundation and Partnership for Development Centre in collaboration with the Council for Preventing and Combating Discrimination and Ensuring Equality (Equality Body) are implementing the project „Advocacy for better protection against discrimination”. The project is funded by the European Union and Co-funded by Sweden.
The project seeks to strengthen the anti-discrimination mechanisms in Moldova through civil society mobilisation. The project will enable civil society actors to (i) coalesce and advocate jointly for strengthening the domestic anti-discrimination framework; (ii) empower most vulnerable and marginalised groups to claim their rights; (iii) strengthen the capacity of the Moldovan Equality Council to share their expertise and case-law with domestic courts; (iv) increase capacity of five selected universities to prevent and curb sexual harassment.
For more details, please see the Terms of References.
In order to strengthen the capacity of the Moldovan Council for Preventing and Combating Discrimination and Ensuring Equality to share its experience with the domestic courts, the East Europe Foundation will hire a consultant to develop the methodology for monitoring court proceedings and identification of discrimination cases requiring amicus curiae briefs.
Scope of work, duties and responsibilities
The Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
• Consider the experience of European Equality Bodies in the region in monitoring court proceedings and identifying cases that require legal opinions;
• Conduct consultative meetings with judges, lawyers, domestic NGOs engaged in strategic litigation for human rights and non-discrimination, independent experts;
• Identify modalities of mapping discrimination cases pending before national courts;
• Develop the draft methodology for monitoring court proceedings and identification of cases requiring amicus curiae briefs, taking into consideration the available personnel of the Equality Body, its organisational structure, the information available on the portal of courts as well as other sources of information;
• Develop detailed guidelines for the development of amicus curiae briefs, with due attention to requirements in terms of form and content;
• Consult the draft methodology and guidelines with the Council for Preventing and Combating Discrimination and Ensuring Equality and other relevant actors;
• Based on the received feedback, finalise the methodology and guidelines.
(1) Methodology for monitoring court proceedings and identification of cases requiring amicus curiae briefs;
(2) Guidelines for developing amicus curiae briefs, with due attention to requirements in terms of form and content;
(3) Presentation of the methodology and guidelines during a workshop convened by the Council for Preventing and Combating Discrimination and Ensuring Equality.
The consultant works under the direct supervision of the EEF Director for Development, Monitoring and Evaluation in close collaboration with the President of the Council for Preventing and Combating Discrimination and Ensuring Equality.
The financial offer will be submitted taking into consideration the number of days required for each deliverable. The offer will be submitted in EUR and will include the gross amount.
The consultant will develop the deliverable during April – July 2020 (up to 20 working days).
• University degree in law;
• Post-graduation education/courses in human rights would be considered an advantage;
• At least 5 years of professional experience in examining discrimination complaints and developing amicus curiae briefs;
• Previous experience in designing methodologies and guidelines for equality bodies or courts in the area of examining discrimination claims;
• Excellent oral and written skills in Romanian.
The applicant should submit the following documents:
• CV reflecting the relevant experience of the applicant with at least 3 references;
• Examples of similar tasks performed by the applicant, if applicable;
• Short methodological note explaining the approach to the tasks to be accomplished;
• Detailed budget for the deliverables in EUR (total price, daily fee).
• Qualifications and experience of the applicant in the field (40%);
• The quality of methodological note (30%);
• The financial offer (30%).
Extended deadline! The deadline for submissions is March 25, 2020.
The application should be sent to the following e-mail address: email@example.com with “Methodology for Moldovan Equality Body” in the subject line.
All questions regarding this task shall be addressed in written to Andrei Brighidin, EEF Director for Development, Monitoring and Evaluation, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about East Europe Foundation, please access www.eef.md. Only selected applicants will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.